Re: Primary Multi-age Instruction

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:55:29 -0500

Hi Ann--
I know what you are going through. About 5 years ago a few of our teachers
were going to start multi-age classrooms (the rest are traditional). I got
kind of nervous, not knowing how to structure lessons and curriculum.
That's when I first turned to artsednet, but there was very little listed
at the time. Then our district sponsored us to attend a two-day workshop
in Rochester NY on multiage. I thought "aha! Now I'll get some concrete
answers." Unfortunately the classroom teacher presenters, when asked how
the specials were handled, usually responded with a variation of "Oh,
special teachers hate us" or "We haven't worked that out yet". So I was
left to my own devices.
Our multiage classrooms are Kdg/1st (there are currently 4 of them) and
1st/2nd (3 of them). What I do is teach, for example, the kdg curriculum
lessons one year and the 1st grade lessons the following year. That way a
kid who's in there for 2 years will get both years' instruction, altho
sometimes in reverse order. I did have to modify some of the 2nd grade
lessons to fit the skill and development levels of the 1st graders, but it
has worked out alright. The only problems I've had are when a child in k/1
multiage for kindergarten switches out of the multiage to a traditional
setting for 1st grade, and has had the 1st grade curriculum lessons when he
was in k/1. So he would get 1st grade twice and no kdg. It doesn't happen
very often though.
All in all, in spite of the extra planning and thought, I really enjoy the
multiage classes -- the older ones seem to moderate some of the extra
enthusiasm and energy (read: misbehavior) of the younger ones. However, I
don't know how I would handle a multiage that included more than 2 grade
levels!
Liz in rural NY
P.S. FORTY students???????

----------
> From: Daniel, Ann <daniela>
> To: 'artsednet' <artsednet.edu>
> Subject: Primary Multi-age Instruction
> Date: Thursday, March 25, 1999 12:56 PM
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for lesson plans for or ways of
handling primary multi-age classes (transition-first through second, all
taught at the same time). My district is starting this next fall, and I
would like to be able to start preparing for it at this time. I am at a
loss as to how to keep student interest with such a wide range of skill
levels and attention spans. My classes often include 40 students, and will
be 45-50 minutes long.