RE: Learning Communities

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:55:25 -0500

I have known of teachers who have done parent nites with the art room. For
example, they have parents and children do portraits of each other or make
something together (how about clay?) They make it a nite for parents and
children to spend quality time together through art. Also, if need be, get
copies of info on Howard Gardner's Theories of Multiple Intelligences and
info on learning styles to back you up, then figure a way to boost learning
through art. One thing I did in middle school was to run an after school
program with an English teacher in which we used art to reinforce English
and writing skills. One of the things we did was have students write
directions, then we would all follow them. It didn't take long for them to
realize just how specific and clear they must be in their writing! I have
also worked with other teachers who have kids who have difficulty with
reading and writing to have them let these students submit reports for
social studies, science, etc in project form-helps the kid and gives the
teacher nice visual aids. Good luck-you deserve some money, too! Linda in NC