Re: Classroom Frescoes

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MaryAnn Kohl (maryann)
Wed, 24 Mar 99 10:00:14 -0700

My "Discovering Great Artists" book has a Fresco activity, page 24,
called "Fresco Plaque", highlighting a Michelangelo project. I have
found that any plaster of Paris works well, but it should be "fresh", and
not old. Sometimes the boxes in stores are all faded and dusty, so that
would be your first clue!

Mix the plaster in a container that can be thrown in the trash later,
like a milk carton or even a rubber playground ball cut in half (it's so
easy to empty!!). Do not rinse ANY plaster down the drain. All plaster
residue must go in the trash or into the garden.

In a nutshell: This project suggests that you pour plaster into a mold,
such as a cardboard box, a pine tin, or a heavy paper plate. Smooth the
plaster with a stick. insert a hanging device like a paper clip at this
time. Let the plaster set up briefly so that is is damp but not wet.
Gently remove the mold from around the plaster. Paint with watercolor
paints or thinned tempera paints on the wet plaster. Let the plaster dry
overnight.

>bj: 7th Grade Fresco Project
>From: Vita23
>
>I would like to follow up my one-hour lesson on Renaissance art with a hands-
>on project on frescoes. I will have an hour for the project and the students
>are 7th
>I would like to follow up my one-hour Renaissance lesson with a hands-on
>project on frescoes. We'll have one hour for the project and the students
>are
>seventh
>graders. We have no sink in the classroom but have access to one down the
>hall. I'm looking for specific suggestions on:
>
> 1. Brands of plaster that work well
> 2. Containers for the plaster; how long it takes to dry
> 3. Kind of paints to use
> 4. Instructions to students on what to paint
> 5. How to display the finished products
>
>Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks from Oregon, Vita

MaryAnn F. Kohl
maryann
http://www.brightring.com/books