Re: technology...eating out of bowls

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 05:27:29 -0500

This is just a note to thank Numo the clay guru for all his
contributions to the list. As one who is relatively ignorant in the
realm of clay, I truly appreciate his input.
Now for my latest clay Q: The last time someone in one of my buildings
used the kiln, something horrible happened. The shelves warped into
unrecognizeable shapes and the stilts (is that the right term?) that you
use to stack the shelves appear to have melted and changed color and
texture. Their (bisque) ware looks a little scorched and some is fused
to the stilts. The person never turned on the exhaust fan and the night
custodian happened into the room, discovered how hot it was and turned
the fan on. The kiln did shut off by itself. This person also turned the
switches on from the top down instead of the bottom up. My question: is
there something wrong with the kiln? (or with the person who fired it!?)
If I get new shelves and stilts, would it be safe to use it again or
should I have it checked first. 40 little 1st and 2nd graders with
unfired pots are awaiting your reply.
Humbly,
Linda in Michigan