Re: Meaning: Egyptian Doors

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:56:37 -0500

> MEANING: Egyptian doors
> Date:
> 22 Mar 1999 15:53:12 U
> From:
> "Cindy Cronn" <cindy_cronn.ne.us>
> To:
> "artsednet" <artsednet.edu>
>
> I need some help on a problem I am proposing to my students. We
> have an exhibit of Egyptian art at the local museum which my 8th and
> 9th grade students will be seeing in about a month. I have been
> trying to tie our current work into the exhibit. One of the pieces
> is a false door from a chapel which we will study. We are going to
> look at other doors (Gates of Paradise, doorways in various
> buildings in American architecture, etc.), and then the students are
> going to consider doors and what they "mean." I hope to have them
> discover that certain kinds of doors convey different ideas about
> the space into which they are leading. They will be doing a drawing
> using the door as a theme and we are talking Tomorrow! Their doors
> will be about themselves in some way. Suggestions?

Well how about having them construct doors. They could also add
features and make them self portrait doors. I would also look at
such artists as Red Grooms and how he uses doors and doorways into
his work. Henry Moore also comes into mind. I've seen self
portraits done in chairs before. You might look at soft sculpture
and paintings i.e.- Picasso or Gauguin and the chunky people/ or you
may just have them transform the door with paint. What about also
looking at the vaults which are bracing the doors and the arches.
you might look at stained glass.
Sandra Barrick

astroboy