RE: Facts about Weaving or Texture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna delafield (mdelafield)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:12:54 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: MaryAnn Kohl [SMTP:maryann]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 1999 6:06 PM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Facts about Weaving or Texture

I have to come up with a "Fact" about weaving and texture...

Does anyone know something very interesting about weaving?
I know kids are faxcinated with the words "Warp" and "Woof"...so maybe
something about where these words came from.... We each have to come up
with a fact, either historical or scientific or maybe just "uncommon
knowledge."

MaryAnn F. Kohl
maryann
http://www.brightring.com/books

[marianna delafield] This isn't just a fact about weaving, but did you know that all sheep, unless they are white are considered "black sheep"? Or that the Navajos raise sheep for the color of their wool, to be woven into their beautiful rugs? Some of the most beautiful dye colors can be achieved with plants. In Colonial Williamsburg they raise antique breeds of sheep and are keeping rare breeds alive. Did you know that you can build a drop spindle out of a dowel and an apple. Incidentally, felt is a great classroom aciivity to do at the end of the year. You can clean the tables and make felt at the same time. Hope this isn't too far off the track...Marianna