Re: Meaning

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:49:47 -0600

Would this be similar to "creative license"? Sometimes in an assignment, for
example clay, a student will ask if they can deviate from their sketch when
building their piece. I always say
"of course", artists often change their minds. It makes students more
creative if they know they aren't locked into their original idea. But I
think it is good to at least ( as far as students go) that they have some sort
of plan or sketch in mind.
We do compare a comparison to builders in class how they have their blueprints
and we have our sketches. They are some circumstances were no sketch probably
will work, but in middle school I have found they seem to need a starting
point and then take off in other directions if necessary.
I love the comparsion to jazz music. I 'll tie that one in also when we talk
about artists changing their minds.
MaryB