Re: Art Honors Class...Need suggestions!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Salvador Wilcox (salvador_wilcox)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:50:51 PST

Marsha,

I don't know why you need to label it an "Honors" Art class nor set
criteria for entrance. You'll alienate students who don't meet the
criteria but who would otherwise prosper in the class. As for criteria
for grading the portfolio, look to the Reggio Emilia philosophy, where
portfolios have been successful. The aim of the portfolio is not to get
an assessment of an individual project but to trace development over
time. All this should also be done with documentation on your part.
Otherwise, you run the risk of replacing standardized tests with
standardized portfolios. In other words, the assessment will be
different for each student since undoubtedly, the process will be
different. Just some thoughts. . .

Salvador Wilcox