RE: Textures, Scratchboard technique

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna delafield (mdelafield)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:33:49 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: MaryAnn Kohl [SMTP:maryann]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 1999 12:31 PM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re:Textures, Scratchboard technique

I am writing an article about textures for a magazine, and wanted to
include something for, say, 12 year olds on "scratching" or "etching".
Any suggestions for your favorite texture projects? Thanks, MaryAnn
Have any of you tried to use plexiglass to do etchings? (we get it through the REAP dump site which is a good free source of art materials) scratching on it with a t-pin. Plexi is great because a preliminary drawing can be seen through the material to do the drawing. You dampen printing paper, use water based ink. Wipe. Can be put through a press, or if you have an old wringer from old fashioned washing machines, or you can hand/spoon rub. Gives a good intoduction to printing techniques, is easy to do, encourages original design and is very very inexpensive.