RE: Simple projects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna delafield (mdelafield)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:45:14 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Guy Brown [SMTP:guyb]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 1999 11:39 PM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Simple projects

Fellow teacher in need of help!

I've been watching the posts on this site and I can tell that there are a
lot of knowledgable people on it in the field of art. And that is good,
since I need some help because I claim no artistic abilities!

I am a sixth grade teacher with 27 students in Washington. Not being much
of an art teacher (but an art lover) I wanted to add some art activities to
what I do. BUT, I don't have lots of money to spend on material and little
time to plan due to other commitments (masters, coaching, family, etc).

My question, then, is: are there any lessons that you could tell me about
that really only involve using scissors, glue, and paper (I have lots of
construction paper and magazines), or possibly other readiliy available
materials. Any ideas would be appreciated! Sorry if this seems redundant
over previous posts I may have missed.

Thanks! Guy in Vanc., Washington
[marianna delafield] Bless you for asking and being a classroom teacher willing to bring art to the classroom. Does your art teacher know about you? You're a treasure.
Theres an old book that has lots of great ideas for the materials you mentioned, Plus lots of others, It should be available through a used book store or something, but its really imaginative, It was/is called 100 and 1 things you can do with an alligator and other related projects, or something like that. It was paper back, and a delight! I also love the Nickolas Roukes books, (Design Synectics, Art Synectics Sculpture in Paper. I think they would be a wonderful challenge to 6th grade kids. They also invite good interdisciplinary connections. Hope you can find them. Interlibrary loan might also be a possibility. Good luck, Marianna