Re: Remedial - painting - drawing - Elementary School

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
San D Hasselman (kprs)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:18:39 -0500

gregjuli wrote:

> Did any of you stick out in your families
> because you were the artistic one and /or maybe marched to a different drum?
> Mary

Not only did my family think me odd, but so did my elementary art teachers! in one school
I got an F in art, couldn't keep within the lines, and dared to keep drawing on a final
exam that required me to PUT DOWN YOUR PENCIL NOW. I guess that's what I get for growing
up an "army brat" in a society that required an american lock step, stopping on the base
at 5:00 pm to put your hand over your heart to salute the flag as they lowered it each
day. While still very patriotic, there was something distinctly un-american about wanting
to grow up and fulfill my 'artsiness' and so I went to school to become a 'math teacher'.
In the day when women didn't go on for math, I guess that was an artistic statement in
itself, eh? Well, it all ended up ok, I have taught art/literature/and giftedness for over
23+ years, but never a math class (mainly because I NEVER got my degree in math!ha!) I
think my life has been a gosh darn percussion section in itself!

San D