DR. Atl, Dino and volcanos

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
S. Henneborn (heneborn)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:46:55 -0600

Thanks for clarifying all that. We run into trouble and give out misleading
information when, for the sake of simplification, we are not careful to be
exact. The science part of my lesson is mainly about the infancy of the
earth. Then we progress through general transformations as the earth ages and
is in the process of wearing down. Changes are so swift in our civilization
it is hard to conceive of the long timeline that came before man. When I
teach this lesson next time I will be more aware to stress your points.

Dr. Atl's name is Gererdo Murillo Coronado (1875-1964) He studied Italian
Frescos in Europe and returned to Mexico to urge the government to invite
artists to decorate the walls of public buildings. ( his contribution to the
muralists and why he is sometimes featured in books on the Muralists) The
name Atl was adopted from the Aztec word for water. He had a passion for the
Mexican landscape and produced panoramic views on a monumental scale. Later he
painted views of Popocatepetl and Ixtaccihuatl . He built himself a house
near Paricuitin in order to record the violent eruptions which began in 1943
and lasted for 3 years. In the books in English I have only seen
reproductions of his quiet landscapes. I bought a book of his work at the
Museum of Modern Art in Mexico City. Ayesha, How are you familiar with his
work? Can you point us to a source to view his work?

Sharon Henneborn
NJ

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 06:33:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Ayesha Jones <ayeshajones>
Subject: Dinos and Volcanoes

Like some of the rest of you, I am also a dinosaur buff. What
fantastic ideas you have for exploring dinosaurs through art--there's
some great stuff out there. And I love Dr. Atl's work and am thrilled
to see that someone else is using him!

If you are trying to hinge this with your science curriculum, though,
dinos and volcanoes don't really have much to do with each other. The
dinosaurs lived for millions and millions and millions of years and
there was of course lots of volcanic activity through that time--even
a huge event in what is now India. But the world had been around for a
long time then, so the Cretaceous was hardly a time when the world was
new and still forming.