Re: Multicultural skin tone colors

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:10:39 -0600

Rodney and Barbara Boville wrote:

> Marcia, I have ordered multicultural paints in the past because I work with
> a very divierse population and thought it would be a great hit with the
> kids. I made skin charts so that the children could match their skin to a
> tone on the paper and select paint from the numbered bottle.Well, when it
> came to painting self-portraits (which were drawn beautifully by the fourth
> graders) they all in a class of 28 , but one chose the lightest creamiest
> skin tone. This is a class of southeast asians, native americans, hispanics,
> african americans and two anglo children. Clueless!!!! After the money
> spent, I now order all of the regular crayola peach and mix my own skin
> tones. It has worked very well. My budget is about $2.80 per child per
> school year, and I hear it is going down, and with 500 students my $$$have
> to stretch. But....another company with very good quality of paint and good
> prices is Nasco. The are advertised in the School Arts and Arts and
> Activities. There is a 800 number and an e-mail address. Barbara in Green
> Bay p.s. the multicultural crayola markers are very nice!

Thanks for your imput. I have a budget of an amazing $1 per student per
year, so I am learning "salvation through grant writing"--hence money
for special skin tone colors. Heck--those should be a standard district
catalog supply item!
Are you familiar with Teaching Tolerance magazine? If not, check them
out at http://www.splcenter.org/splc.html
They have a wonderful new book and video program called, "Starting
Small" which makes very good use of the skin tones.