Re: Oil Painting

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 21:12:28 -0500

It's a wonderful smell- but some people cannot tolerate it. It's
also one of my oldest "Scent" memories. You could use alkyds, which
are water based oil paints (don't ask). You could and should use
ventilation. Are these annoyances coming from art students or people
in the halls. After awhile people get used to the smell. I am amazed
that it is offending the other art teacher. Since you are sharing
space- maybe next time switch to alkyds. Have the students cover
their paintings with a tarp or cloth. make sure they clean brushes
and have a drum to put old linseed oil and other thinners/etc. Wrap
the palettes to protect the smell some.
Good luck!

Double Bubble wrote:

> How does one get around the smell of using oil paints, turpentine and
> lineseed oil in senior high school art classes. I have just started
> using oil paints with my senior grades and have started to receive
> complaints from a few people in the school. One of them from the other
> art teacher who also uses my room following my class.
> Any suggestions from teacher who work with oils would be greatly
> appreciated.

Sandra Barrick

astroboy