Building curriculum bridges

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
S. Henneborn (heneborn)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:29:05 -0600

{ Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:55:28 -0800
From: "Rob Morey" <raboo>
Subject: Re:conference - Boston }

Rob,

When I first started teaching in the classroom I had 33 most difficult 4th
graders in one of those stacked deck classes that they give to the new/unknown
teacher. Being very naive I thought all classes were like this and set out to
teach. All those sweeties who learn in the traditional way were in someone
else's class! This was really a blessing in disguise because I enlisted
alternate approaches very quickly. I found, of course, that the more we
experienced the concepts through the arts the more easily the learning took
place.

One young man, who had never read, asked me how I knew so much about the art
prints I showed them. He said he couldn't know all that from the pictures. I
showed him the text under the pictures and read aloud. I also apprenticed him
to a local artist to help with keeping studio clean and laying out the basic
guidelines for commercial projects. He became very good at lettering. By the
end of the year he was reading on 5th grade level.

Two students had not spoken since a trauma = one for 2 years and one for 3
years. . The girl started talking and rocking when she learned to weave. The
young man talked in the Spring. He was walking out in the desert as usual and
noticed a man at an easel. He went out every evening and sat and watched the
man paint. He was so excited, one morning, and came in babbling! He related
the story to me. Every day I've been watching him paint and suddenly I yelled
at him, "I know who you are! You are Peter Hurd!" "What makes you think that
I am Peter Hurd, young man?" " That is a Peter Hurd painting!" It was Peter
Hurd and until the painting was finished Peter Hurd had NO PEACE but a
barrage of words.

The arts are a most powerful learning tool and any teacher who doesn't use
them needs to be guided. Possibly these are the teachers who, as students,
learned in the traditional way and have limited experience with the many other
intelligence's. You are right that the ground work is there in the research,
literature, the standards etc. but is is up to us to see that it is
assimilated into all curriculum. One teacher at a time. ( This is not to say
that they are not aggravating and you would love to shake them by their
throats 'till they see the light! Especially the administrators who think you
are there to decorate the building and the newsletters!)

Sharon Henneborn

  • Reply: MarshArt: "Re: Building curriculum bridges"