Re: Wanted: Native American ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
KATHY K (KATHALEEN_KERN)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:11:51 -0800

Stephanie,
one project that i had the students (7th-9th) do last year worked out
great. the parents and teachers really liked the results. First use brown
paper or paper bags opened up. wet the paper slightly with a mist bottle.
crunch the paper to wrinkle it. after it has dried, sponge on layers of
different shades of brown, tan, off white etc... Make a stencil of a bison.
lay the stencil down on the brown paper and spray or sponge natural colors
over and around it. pull the stencil off. there should be a negative image
of the bison. also, have the students place their hands on the paper while
sponging or spraying so that the hands are a negative image. help the
students find native american symbols to paint on the background or border.
add natural feathers, beads, tree bark, horse hair, etc... the finished
product should look like buffalo skins. messy but fun. luck, kathy