Re:Maya Lin & Glass

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jane Shiflett Manner (jmanner)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 17:08:58 -0500

Betty Bowen wrote:
>If your students are both into Maya Lin and glass, have you seen photos
>of her installation at the museum in Columbus, OH?

Yes I have. The piece is "Groundswell" and is on the roof of the Wexner
museum at Ohio State University at Columbus. It is one of my students'
all-time favorites and was the one I had thought I'd never find an image of
to show them. With Sandra's help, some folks from Cooper Union in NYC, and
the museum in Columbus, I did finally get every thing I wanted them to see.
The PBS documentary, which I think is "Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision,"
is mainly about the Viet Nam Memorial but does show this work in progress.
You are right about still photos not doing the work justice. The video
does a much better job and I understand that what light does to the mounds
of glass fragments as you move to observe the piece is awsome. Alas, I
haven't been to Columbus. The concept and the title are certainly intriguing.

groundswell- 1. A violent swelling or rolling of the ocean, caused by a
distant storm or earthquake. 2. a rapidly growing wave of popular
sentiment, opinion, etc.