RE: Hemp and drugs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna delafield (mdelafield)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:46:02 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Sidnie Miller [SMTP:sidmill.us]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 11:17 PM
To: The Cheevers
Cc: Arts Ed talk; Walter Krueger
Subject: Re: Hemp and drugs

I had all my students doing hemp bracelets etc. when the drug dogs showed
up on campus--I almost went over and asked the police if they thought it
was ok that I was using hemp--and then I got real. Anyway, the dogs
didn't do anything. I've been told that you would have to smoke a
telephone pole sized cigarette to get any feeling at all. Interestingly
enough, Old Glory was made from hemp, George Washington's clothes were
made from hemp etc. etc. I had a whole pamplet of info in case anyone
got worried about the necklaces.

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko Junior High School #
# 777 Country Club Drive #
# Elko, NV 89801 #
# 702-738-7236 #
Are any of you spinners out there? I know that people have used hemp for spinning with a technique similar to sppinning flax. Has anyone tried it with a drop spindle? Does anyone know how to prepare the hemp? It would also be interesting to use in a paper making project. Do you know if the hemp has to be cooked, before it is beaten, and is it possible to beat it sufficiently in a blender, if you use small amounts?
Thank you. Marianna