RE: Hemp and drugs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna delafield (mdelafield)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:40:35 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Krueger [SMTP:wkrueger]
Sent: Monday, March 08, 1999 7:30 PM
To: Arts Ed talk
Subject: Re: Hemp and drugs

At 7:21 PM +0000 3/8/99, Lisa R. Harman wrote:
I thought of doing hemp weavings also but discovered hemp bracelets etc
>are not permitted in school. My 7th graders told me it was because hemp
>has drugs in it? Has anyone else heard this?
>Lisa from PA

Doesn't hemp come from the marijuana plant?

--Walter Krueger, Portland OR

[marianna delafield] Marijuana (also known as ditch weed) was grown in Iowa during WW2 for the manufacture of rope, (hence; smoke some rope). It spreads readily and although it is no longer grown as a crop, you will find it growing wild in the ditches along country roads. Its what jute is made from, I believe and baler twine. I don't believe that it has any drug-like qualities when its made into rope, or twine. I can't imagine why it would be illegal to use in a school situation, although if it has been manufactured for farm use it may have been treated with poison to keep rodents from chewing it.

  • Reply: Sue Stewart: "Re: RE: Hemp and drugs"