RE: 3rd grade mural

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna delafield (mdelafield)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:16:05 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: robertb713 [SMTP:robertb713]
Sent: Monday, March 08, 1999 11:03 AM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: 3rd grade mural

i'm teaching art to 18 3rd graders and the principal wants the students
to create a mural for the cinco de mayo celebration. I'm struggling with
this one since there are 18 kids, some who enjoy visual art, some who
hate it and are just there because they have to be. Consequently,
students who are not interested in art (about 1/2 of them) usually are
the discipline problems. As a result i began doing more craft work with
them and have not done much in the way of drawing or painting. The
thought of having 18 kids attempt to do one mural at the same time, and
have control is making me a bit nervous. Any ideas out there on what to
do?

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
[marianna delafield] I have had success doing a "pin on mural" with groups of 20 or more students. It should work just as well with the smaller group. The materials are an incitement here, the variety of colored papers, wall paper, butcher paper, etc can inspire the group. If you would have them do a "self portrait as---------" relating with the celebration, you could even have the children's "school picture face" incorporated into the mural. This is a good way with children who draw spaghetti arms to do separate body parts and their drawings will often improve after a change of media. Assign different activities to groups or to each chilld. I also like to have them examine trees and build a tree each to add to the mural. You can deal with space and groundline too, as a group, when you discuss placement of figures etc. This would give children who finish earlier a chance to make extra assigned pieces. Sometimes working in groups like this encourages the children who don't seem to like drawing to be part of the activity, and would give you a chance to use lots of positive reinforcement. Good Luck!