Re: Size, meaning and earthworks

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
R. Moore (ronmoore)
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:54:35 -0800 (PST)

Debi raises a very good point about getting students to catch the drift of
conceptual issues in art by doing some hands on art themselves. There is
probably no better way to have students come to grips with issues of
planning, scale, aesthetic design, and so on than by trying to plan and
construct something large themselves. The earthwork project strikes me as
very useful and exciting. This is a nice way of tying some of the
traditional issues in aesthetics to modern notions such as earthworks--
Trajan's forum connected in concept to Smithson et al. What a nice idea!
Ron

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 Debi13 wrote:

> Great ideas about new adaptations to existing monuments or earthworks.
> Environmental installations have become very popular at my school. Each Fall
> and again in the Spring when the weather is great, we map off sites at the
> school and teams of students create sketchbook ideas and plan how to actually
> make the installation happen. The installation day creates a lot of excitment
> as unaware students come across these unexpected creations. Some have been
> mandalas made of natural materials, and weaving in a stand of pine trees, a
> creation in the sand pile or a weaving or mobile on and around the tennis
> court fences. The students are available at specified times to tour the
> sites. Of course we study the history of humans arranging their environment
> from the caves and rock carvings to Christo, Goldsworthy, Smithson and many
> others. The fleeting nature and the complexity of the planning is always
> impressive. Many times the forum and meaning are not easy for students or
> viewers to understand. The students become the best teachers after going
> through the process themselves.
> Debi B-H

  • Reply: Debi13: "Re: Re: Size, meaning and earthworks"