Re: meaning/intention

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marcia m eaton (marciameaton)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 04:16:40 -0500

Sender: DRLanders
From: DRLanders
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 23:20:43 EST
To: marciameaton
Subject: Re: meaning/intention
Dave wronte:
Good point.
I know that I knowing more about the body of work does help one to
the meaning the artist was trying to convey. When we understand the time
period or the social conditions of the artists time what we see may take on
whole different meaning than when we just see it in a gallery

It may not make the subject better, but it may help us to appreciate it
in what the artist was trying to convey.
Any thoughts?

My response:
I would go even farther: I think that sometimes (e.g. with art from a
different culture) we "misperceive" if we don't have adequate information.
I think there is a very real sense in which we may have a moral obligation
to members of a culture or to individual artists to discover more about the
work that we can simply get just from looking at it. Would you go this
far? Marcia

  • Reply: Debi13: "Re: Re: meaning/intention"