Re: meaning/intention

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marcia m eaton (marciameaton)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 04:16:40 -0500

Sender: DRLanders
From: DRLanders
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 23:20:43 EST
To: marciameaton
Subject: Re: meaning/intention
whole different meaning than when we just see it in a gallery

It may not make the subject better, but it may help us to appreciate it
more
in what the artist was trying to convey.
Any thoughts?
Dave.

My response:
I would go even farther: I think that sometimes (e.g. with art from a
different culture) we "misperceive" if we don't have adequate information.
I think there is a very real sense in which we may have a moral obligation
to members of a culture or to individual artists to discover more about the
work that we can simply get just from looking at it. Would you go this
far? Marcia

  • Reply: Debi13: "Re: Re: meaning/intention"