Re: no elem. art experiences....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ellyn Wenk (ellyn)
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 08:23:06 -0500

I think this is time for the elementary teachers
to integrate big time with the classroom
teachers. We should try to coordinate our lessons
teaching our concepts but using their themes or
subjects to reinforce their lessons in our
classrooms. We should get busy asking how we can
help them so that the students can pass these
mandated tests that are here now and are not going
away. The tests and standards stress hands on
learning which we do in a big way and the teachers
cannot get to because they are so busy at the fact
level of blooms taxonomy that they cannot get to
the higher level teaching of hands on products and
presentations and basically a fun way to learn.
The standards require this type of learning but
teachers don't know how to fit this into their way
of teaching. We can, and we would be considered
indispensable by the staff if we not only provided
breaks for them but reinforced their lessons. I
am not talking about abandoning our curriculums,
but enhancing their lessons while teaching about
art. For example when they teach about the earth
in first grade we can also teach about it with
clay and repeat the concepts the teachers taught
along with our own and a bit of art history etc.
We can help the schools in a big way to pass these
tests that have teachers screaming about getting
back to the core subjects only. I see elementary
art as more important then ever but we have to get
busy showing the schools how we can help in this
matter.
Ellyn