Re: no elem. art experiences....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 05:31:52 -0500

Whoa! That kind of shoots down the role of us elementary art teachers.
Guess we might as well figure out another career path. Unless maybe
there is something else to learning about and through art that is very
important at the elementary level.
I can understand the focus of secondary people on product. But I'd like
to point out that I WORK MY FANNY OFF at the elementary level to lay
some groundwork for the love and appreciation of art and its
relationship to all our lives, and to nurture my students' developing
abilities through process. I believe my students bring many of those
understandings and skills to their subsequent art learning exoeriences.
I would hope they are not summarily dismissed as inconsequential when
they get there.
Linda in Michigan