Re: value of critiques

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 00:09:12 -0500

Because one can get into an East coast Art school does not make them any
better.I could say alot but I won't.Only to say it doesn't matter what
school you enter,talent is at the root of all Art. Some people can
talk their way in and then find out their is no substance there to
support it. I still disagree on Crits for kids,of course I am not saying
not to give them the vocabulary or the analysis of "Artists paintings".
I do in a sense give kids the power to find out and explore their work
and others but in a more suttle way.Maybe I'm wrong but I think we agree
on some aspects but I word it differently.This smells strangly like a
design class.

Sandra

For the record
Chicago Art Inst.
Minneapolis Art Inst.
Kansas City Art Inst.*****(Thomas Hart Benton taught there as well as
many contemporay artists. while Hart was teaching there- Pollock came to
live with him. Also Walt Disney went there and it was speculated had
buried something in front of the gates. Max Beckman was head of Painting
dept. at Washington University in St louis etc........)
and others are all good schools and they are in the mid west.
It may not be Cooper Union or Pratt or Rhode Island school of Design
but they can keep up with the best of them.

San D Hasselman wrote:

> I use critiques extensively from the moment students walk in the door.
> By the time they have made their way through our art program, crits are
> essential to their development of thesis statements and portfolios.

Our critiques range from the "formal", a written assessment to