Fwd: criticism in the artroom

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mcracker (Mcracker)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:43:36 EST

--part0_891402216_boundary

From: Mcracker <Mcracker>
To: astroboy
Subject: Re: criticism in the artroom
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:41:52 EST

<< What age are you critiqing? I don't see the reason for having kids do
a critique on others work, >>
I'm afraid I disagree on saving the critiquing process for older students. In
our school system, we teach students to critique each other's and their own
work at an early age (1st grade, beginning with simple questions, such as
"Which of the works displayed do you think is the most interesting or exciting
or inviting or colorful or uses warm colors best, etc.) By the time I get the
kids in middle school, we frequently spend the beginning of a class doing an
in progress critique of one or two student's works -- to help them improve or
solve problems. This week, my eighth graders did a critique where they
interviewed each other with three questions about their work and then
discussed the work of the person they interviewed to the whole group. It went
very well and the discussion lasted for the whole class period. Since I began
this type of process, especially the in process critique, I think the quality
of my student's work has increased by leaps and bounds. They not only get
ideas from seeing the work of others, but they begin to ask each other for
advice and help in solving problems. I think a real key is always to offer
praise first and to offer criticism as advice which the artist is free to
accept or reject.

Looking forward to seeing many of you in Chicago!

Marcia Thompson
West Salem Middle School
West Salem, WI

--part0_891402216_boundary--