Re: Technology Transforms the Arts (Website)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
vala vinogradoff (vala)
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 10:19:45 +0930

The Technology School of the Future is involved with ProfessionalTraining &
Development, R & D in curriculum design that incorporates technology across
the curriuculum, provides access to disadvantagedgroups through an equity
program. My role is that of Equity & VisualArts.
We have found that working digitally and with multi media motivates
andchallenges young people to be actively involved with their learning.
The advantages of working digitally whether using a product likeBrøderbund's
KidPix Studio, Adobe PhotoShop, Cool Edit ( Voice), Corel Draw, Painter,
Trispectives etc and music are numerous. We haveinvestigated numerous programs
and integrated them with students from ages 9 to adults.Currently we are
experimenting with stage design, interactive performance with art and music,
where actual performance is interactive and depending on how which midi
keyboard one hits the visuals change. When students develop their idea they
can than perform and exhibit electronically, plus capture it onto video, or
burn a CD.
We actually go through the process of story boarding, collecting and
developing resources and working collaboratively
to identify each individuals role and responsibility. The sharing of knowledge
has introduced those less familiar with technology to itspotential benefits.
When technology is applied across-the-curriculum aswell as a Technology
subject, issues such as greater participation by a variety of groups,
attendance and access become more easily achievable.
The sharing of ideas, communicating with each other, demonstrating techniques,
questioning,
designing, making, appraising, exploring systems and critically examining
outcomes were continuous.
The advantage that such software has, also lies in the area of Language.
Younger students whose reading abilities are not fully developed and ESL
students quickly learn how tools, palettes and keyboard functions produce
images that communicate ideas.
More and more I am integrating the visual arts with music and expanding on the
idea that art and music students work alongside each other to "perform" their
works whether they are visual or sound.
We do have an internet site:
www.tsof.edu.au
that shows what we do. Within probably a month we should have a sample of a
recent innovative curriuculum unit "multi arts" where students developed a
video clip which in actual fact was a series of art works (visuals) that were
created to an original piece of music. ( we need to digitise sections)
Students worked in pairs, experienced both art forms and designed their
overall
concept. It took 4 intensive visits to work with us, plus follow work up in
their school. The outcomes were that the school is introducing a new
curriculum and that art and music teachers need to work collaboratively to
design the curriculum, plan resources etc. We focus on the point that art and
music are expressive elements and when combined make communication even
stronger. We have also integrated muliculturalism through such approaches.
I would be happy to correspond on these issues.

--
Vala Vinogradoff
Manager:Equity & Visual Arts Programs