Re: ALTERNATIVE ED AND ART

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
vala vinogradoff (vala)
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 09:56:30 +0930

The Technology School of the Future is involved with Professional
Training & Development, R & D in curriculum design that incorporates
technology across the curriuculum, provides access to disadvantaged
groups through an equity program. My role is that of Equity & Visual
Arts.
We have found that working digitally and with multi media motivates and
challenges young people to be actively involved with their learning. We
have centres where students are removed from school and when we developed
programs to support their students who incidentally were mainly boys we
found that their attention spans increased and that they become focused
on their work because they were working with a medium that really is a
communicative one of the 21st. Cen.
The advantages of working digitally whether using a product like
Brøderbund's KidPix Studio, Adobe PhotoShop, Cool Edit ( Voice), Corel
Draw, Painter, Trispectives etc and music are numerous. We have
investigated numerous programs and integrated them with students from
ages 9 to adults.
Through the Equity Program at the School of the Future disadvantaged
groups have been provided with opportunities to access and enhance their
learning through technology. Comments such as “The Primary students used
KidPix for about 2 hours. They were not bored and experimented,
discovering quite a lot about the program. It really hacked them in”.
(teacher) “Its an excellent program because I like the graphics”
(student) clearly demonstrate how such a program continues to enthral and
motivate students to produce multimedia presentations. The social
development, exploration and communication that occurred in such sessions
where traditional media had failed, clearly demonstrates enhanced
learning outcomes.

The ability to generate and explore variation of one idea, analyse and
modify it into stunning presentations such as PowerPoint, Claris Slide
Show or Netscape allows students to take pride in what is being viewed
electronically. However we actually go through the process of story
boarding, collecting and developing resources and working collaboratively
to identify each individuals role and responsibility. The sharing of
knowledge has introduced those less familiar with technology to its
potential benefits. When technology is applied across-the-curriculum as
well as a Technology subject, issues such as greater participation by a
variety of groups, attendance and access become more easily achievable.
In a two-hour session, a group of “at risk “ boys ranging from Years 6 to
10 worked alongside each other, quickly absorbing procedures, examining
tools and using them to produce a 3-frame slideshow which incorporated
art, text, animation, sound and photos. The sharing of ideas,
communicating with each other, demonstrating techniques, questioning,
designing, making, appraising, exploring systems and critically examining
outcomes were continuous.
The advantage that such software has, also lies in the area of Language.
Younger students whose reading abilities are not fully developed and ESL
students quickly learn how tools, palettes and keyboard functions produce
images that communicate ideas.
The Student Support Centres are spread through our districts in the state
and employ qualified teachers who negotiate norms of behaviour with
students, but also develop alternative programs that may include
activities such as orienteering, recreational activities, the thre R's,
etc. When they have accessed us we have provided the methodology, and
introduced the students to how they learn through technology by hand on
work. The idea is then for the centres to invest into the most relevant
technologies that suit their kids. Some examples of programs have been
e.g introduction to control technology using lego technics, writing and
story telling through multimedia, communicating through art and music.
More and more I am integrating the visual arts with music and expanding
on the idea that art and music students work alongside each other to
"perform" their works whether they are visual or sound.
We do have an internet site:
www.tsof.edu.au
that shows what we do. Within probably a month we should have a sample of
a recent innovative curriuculum unit "multi arts" where students
developed a video clip which in actual fact was a series of art works
(visuals) that were created to an original piece of music. Students
worked in pairs, experienced both art forms and designed their overall
concept. It took 4 intensive visits to work with us, plus follow work up
in their school. The outcomes were that the school is introducing a new
curriculum and that art and music teachers need to work collaboratively
to design the curriculum, plan resources etc.
I would be happy to correspond on these issues.

--
Vala Vinogradoff
Manager:Equity & Visual Arts Programs