Re: Clasroom Critiques

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stubby4B (Stubby4B)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:40:06 EST

In a message dated 98-03-30 23:14:27 EST, lhurdle writes:

> I have started to question the value of critiques in the classroom and
> I am curious to know how others feel about this. If by chance you use
> use this type of evaluation, how do you get all of the students
> involved?

I posted this earlier on in the school year, but I'll post again, because I
really enjoy how it's worked out. We usually do it with homework assgnmts for
my Art Two class.

We retreat to the back of the room, where we form a circle with our chairs.
Everyone has their sketchbook on their laps. I have a timer. In silence, we
each pass our sketchbook to the right. We look at the drawing for 30-45
seconds, and I quietly say "pass". We pass again. The kids are pretty good
about doing this in silence. We circulate the work until we end up with our
own work again.

Then we lay our work down on the floor, kinda towards the middle of the
circle. I grab a box of those square art gum erasers, and I give one to each
kid. During the passing stage of the crit, I've jotted down some questions,
that I then present to the group. Kids vote or make their selections by
placing their erasers on the piece. A sample of the questions:
Place your eraser on a work that makes good use of the page
... on a work that you can offer some advice to the artist
... on a work that you have a question about
... on a work that you'd like to comment on
... on a work that best fulfills the assignment

We then discuss after we have placed our erasers. It is also good to visually
see where the erasers land, and it's a good illustration of people's feelings
about the work. I find it to be a very thoughtful crit in general, and the
kids seem to enjoy it. I borrowed loosely from a grad student teacher when I
was at Tyler in Philly, and we always had far more intelligent things to say
after quietly handling the work individually.

Duffy Franco
Norwalk High School
Norwalk, CT