Re: Questions about multicultural art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:03:49 -0500

We did that last year. I'm not teaching right now,but last year we did
different countries. We had about 3 weeks. I came into the regular
classroom (K) with three other people. Ours was on Mexico.We brought
thimgs from home that were handed down or from there. Books Dolls
Jewelry boxes A print even food was included.We read books in spanish
and English Popped a Pinata AND I had them make an Aztec Calander
charade game. I also presented three Artist's Rivera,Khalo and
Tamayo. We made sugar skulls and made our Aztec warrior masks shield
and costume. There is so much more we didn't do Shakers,Retablos
etc. I would have liked to do. Other parents came in and did
Africa,Germany,France,Japan and China and also Sweden. It was a lot of
fun. Everyone was encouraged to participate and join in. We also had a
lunch together for each of the countries presented where the kids got to
help make the food. They really enjoyed it.

It wasn't part of Art class it was in addition too. So it helped to work
closely with teachers and I do try to correlate Art and their studies
together as much as I can.

Sandra