Re: Questions about multicultural art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:36:38 -0500

To me what I want to achieve most is getting kids to think period.It
doesn'thave to be explained away as this culture and that culture.
Sharing the knowledge of different ways of life and different cultures
is opening up minds to new ways of seeing.I do believe and what
frustrates me most is that our schools and the way teachers are taught
does not encourage or stimulate our children to think.
ie: When the word came how poorly US kids did against the world in Math
and Science,the big difference was the way they were taught. Even poor
Eastern block countries do better. I am not criticising teachers but
the system in which we learn. One of the News shows (48 hours 60 min
Dateline)had a segment on this. In particular the approach the other
countries taught and the way in which we do. Video tape showed that time
and time again in class during math.The teacher gives a problem the
students worked in pairs trying to solve the problem eventually they
succeeded during their period.In the US we gave them the answer and
solved the problem for them after a few minutes of problem solving.
If they don't understand the process how are they ever going to be able
to get to the product on their own.
Art is one way to stimulate the thinking process.I never touch
my students work.Just my point of view.

Sandra