Re: Mama's trying to help with the violence issue

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
bob carl (bcarl28)
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 14:10:56 -0500

SPAMING helps no one. These events , though they seem to be, are no more
connected
than the New York Yankees winning the 1996 World Series and the JFK
assassination.
We are too influenced by the media to draw our own conclusions. Let's all
step back,
take a deep breath and get on about our business-teaching art.

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998 13:14:18 -0500 Jane Shiflett Manner
<jmanner> writes:
> [...]
>life
>outside the home. Hull says "it's a good time to talk to your kids
>about
>their friends. You can ask if they talk to their friends about guns."
>Hull
>says parents can use this conversation to differentiate between
>tattling
>and telling the appropriate person to help protect the safety of
>others.
>>
>>Betsy McAlister Groves, director of the Child Witness to Violence
>Project
>at Boston Medical Center says parents should not wait for young
>children to
>express fear. In an interview with Good Housekeeping Groves suggests
>parents take this course of action:
>>
>> Encourage children to talk: Ask questions that will draw out their
>fears.
>>
>> Answer simply: Once you find out what your child's fears are,
>answer
>simply. Groves says, "give children the information they ask for, but
>not
>more than they've asked for."
>>
>> Appeal to logic: Arm your child with concrete ways to deal with
>things
>that upset them. For example if your child is afraid of being in a car
>accident and is too young to understand the law of averages, you may
>try
>showing them where the accident happened on a map and where you live
>help them distance themselves from the accident.
>>Every day, TV news exposes our children to murders, kidnappings, and
>bombings. How can we calm their fears and help them feel safe?
>>

>>BY SANDY KEENAN
>>
>>Eight-year-old Caitlin Tanner* and her classmates can't stop talking
>about
>JonBenet Ramsey, the little blonde beauty queen whose murder last
>December
>has been the subject of countless TV newscasts. At an age when their
>tastes
>run to baggy blue jeans and simple T-shirts, most of the girls'
>commentary
>revolves around why they don't like JonBenet's fancy clothing, and how
>silly it is for little girls to wear makeup. Occasionally, they come
>seeking a parent's reassurance: "Mommy, am I as pretty as JonBenet?"
>>
>>But every week or two after yet another story airs on the evening
>news
>more disturbing questions arise: "Mommy, you would never let anyone
>kill
>me, right?"
>>
>>There's no shortage of news to terrify a child: Heaven's Gate,
>Bosnia,
>Oklahoma City, O.J. Simpson, the latest crime in your own community.
>We can
>turn off the TV and the radio; we can even keep magazines and
>newspapers
>out of the house but there's still no way to ensure that our
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

wledge of every ugly crime or frightening event.