[Fwd: Re: batik help needed]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Roy Liebergen (rllieber)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 22:20:04 -0600

Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 22:04:25 -0600
From: Roy Liebergen <rllieber>
To: RWilson
Subject: Re: batik help needed

Ruth Wilson wrote:

> Has anyone had luck teachng batik to 5th and 6th graders using a
> tjanting tool to make wax lines on the cloth? Has anyone used something
> to get the wax lines on that works easily. I've tried a brush and it was
> okay but not great. The tjanting tool seems so hard to conrol for kids.
> Ruth
I've done batik with fifth graders and they applied the wax with old
watercolor brushes, touching the fabric with only the tip of the brush.
It works quite well if the kids are willing to work carefully.

I know this is not real batiking, but have you ever tried doing it by
drawing the image on the fabric with black crayon, pressing very hard.
Then you paint the image, you can use either tempera or acrylic paint,
but I find the tempera paints, thinned down, work best and have the best
colors. Then, wax the entire piece, cool and crinkle and dip in the dye
bath. These are very beautiful--an alternative to trying to wax and dye
although I do realize it is not the same. I teach my children that we
use the materials we have available and also sometimes have to adjust
the process to meet our abilities.

Hope this helps, Carol