Re: re.- lollipop trees & Bunki

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
bob carl (bcarl28)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 14:42:24 -0500

Oh yeah...I try and break my 4 th and 5th graders of these stereotype
landscapes as well. Showing them Cezanne, Monet and O'Keefe has
helped alot. I don't allow "no lolly pop trees" in our art room. I detest
the "V' birds also. Children need to be offered other alternatives,
And they are usually glad to find out about them.

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998 12:24:11 -0600 mary bolyard <gregjuli>
writes:
>Yeah Bunki!
> You,ve expressed my sentiments exactly. Everything from the "book
>people" needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes the grains
>are good and sometimes the grains are........ well you know what I
>mean.
>
> I'm in middle school also, and right now my 6th graders are doing
>landscapes.
>During the sketching of the compositions out come the "m" birds, suns
>in
>the corners, and zig-zag mountains. Yikes! When I explain to the
>students how the sun moves through the sky during the day , how to do
>birds other ways, how mountains are not all the some height and width
>-
>they eat it up! They are happier with the outcome of their work. It
>was like a light was turned on for them.
> I hope all teachers are not afraid to sosmetimes try to break the
>boundaries of stale expectations for all students. Reach a little
>higher, be a little bolder.
> Good-Luck
>All!
>
>Mary B.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]