Re: One parent's view-a little long

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 08:32:18 -0500

Got your mesage.Was wondering if you looked into the Getty web page.
Have you ever done DBAE lessons.You should order their free Publication
catalog. The catalog has a list of books that have been published
which vary in their topic. You can find more academic,teacher oriented
Art teacher oriented etc.If you don't have Art Literacy in your school
then at least order one of the books on DBAE anywhere from 9$-25$
k-12th It will include lesson plans,How to make lesson plans,Several
Artists or cultures.Go to the PTA and find out if you can start it.
Talk to Getty. As a passed co-ordinator I know you can do as much or as
little as you want. I taught the classes too,but as a coordinator you
could get a group of volunteers and twice a month have a meeting.(or
more) Include all the information,lesson plan for the Artist and
demonstrate the process. get two volunteers to a class. One to present
and both to do project. Have teacher stay in room in the begining or
always.You don't have to do the lesson your volunteers can if you work
or if you can spare time it's only 1 hour or however much the teacher
let's you have. Then after everyone has done the classes have a follow
up meeting find out what went wrong what could have been done better
etc. Just talk. I had 2 boxes. One at home for the next month and
1 at school for volunteers . Of course I expanded on this by adding a
resource box at school for teachers to use.So basically do this with the
volunteers instead of teachers.
My son did'nt have an Art teacher in his school either. So
Art really varied by how much his academic teacher liked and felt
comfortable with Art.In his new school he has an Art teacher but I am
helping her with ideas and projects too.
If you want more information e-mail me. Also publications are
on the Getty page under publications. It takes about aweek to receive.

Sandra

Glennis Dolce wrote:

> Thought some of you might like to respond to an article I submitted to
> our elementary school newsletter. As you can tell, I'm on a bit of a
> mission around here.
> Glennis
>
> Teaching the Whole Child
I wanted to create some art class plans that were