Re: stages of drawing--Realistic vs stereotypical

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maahmaah (Maahmaah)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 14:23:04 EST

In a message dated 98-03-27 13:26:32 EST, lutton.us writes:

<< Sandra, I love this comment "but no straight stems to the bottom of the
> page please." My kids feel they have to do this and add two leaves stuck
> on that stem and it drives me bonkers. How do you feel about the
> necessity(they think) of putting the sun symbol in the corner of every
> landscape they draw, along with lolly pop trees? I start in kindergarten
> on trees. We look at ways artists have drawn and painted trees; we look at
> trees outside and then we pretend to grow from seeds receiving nourishment
> from the rain and sun. Our branches grow up, up and out and our fingers
> are the little twigs. We even sway in the wind. When they draw at the end
> of this lesson, their trees are not the little lolly pop ones, but they
> revert back the next time they draw one. Do you have the same problem?
> Thanks, Ann in NC

>Sandra, I spend severl lessons working on trees and as soon as they are
>"free drawing" up pop the lollipop trees! Louise>>

I have the same thing happen with self portraits--First I have the kids draw a
picture of themselves from memory--they turn out very typical and age
appropriate. Then I bring out the mirrors and we closely look at and feel our
faces, talk about the shapes, proportions, placements, etc. The second
drawings turn out quite remarkably! Then, a week later they are back to
drawing faces with dots for eyes, L's for noses and wide single line smiles.
It doesn't surprise me. This is the way ALL children this age draw for a
quite a while. Drawing their faces in the mirrors is an excersize in Looking,
Seeing, Noticing, Examining. This is a foundation that is invaluable and
won't leave them. Children at this age don't feel the need to make things
look realistic yet. They only need to get their message across. When it
starts to bother them that things don't look "right" anymore--THAT is the time
they will put these observation skills into practice. It will happen without
a lot of frustration if they already have some experience with observation
drawing and have been given a broad foundation.

-Lee