Re: question of blame

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:27:23 -0600

I'm from the south and you are right you can't blame the region for
what happened. I don't know why the United States has so much violence.
My Father taught me to shoot (targets I don't hunt), when I was 5 or 6.
The reason, he had guns and we would respect them and NEVER touch them
without permission. Safty and the lethal power of guns were empazised.
Later when I went to camp I was one of the best shots in both archery
and riflery for my age group, and I shoot both left and right handed
equally well. I was very proud of that because except for swimming I
wasn't a good athlete (unlike my multitude of cousins and little
sister). I would have never thought of taking my Dad's guns, even though
my sister and I knew were they were and were my Dad hid the key. The
reason was I knew my parents would find out (they found out everything),
and I would be busted.
As far as the media being responsible, I don't completely buy this
therory. Canada is a much less violent country and they get the same
movies, and TV shows. Though they do have a very strict movies rating
system (or at least my Aunts and Uncles interpret it strictly). I was
visiting relatives, when ET came out. Two of my cousins asked me to go
(we were 16, 15, and 15). I said sure we can take your sister (9), who
had been bugging everyone to go. They were shocked. ET was rated PG11 (I
believe I have the rating right because my sister was 10 and she went
with another cousin who was 11. They let her in because she lied about
her age). According to my cousins the theatre would not let in anyone
under 11. Now in all honesty it could have been my Aunt's rule and it is
a small town on PEI. Other areas might be different. After the movie, I
asked my cousins what in the movie made it inapproprate for their
sister. Their response was the portrail of the government as the bad
guys. That alone might show a basic difference in our cultures. There
are other countries with much more violent movies and they don't seem to
have the murder rate of the US.

Kimberly