Re: Sculpture ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Will Mosher (workscited)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 22:29:44 EST

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:32:25 EST Lydia West <LydiaWest> writes:
>In my university sculpture class, we used a type of silicon which was
>purchased from a hardware store; it comes in tubes, is extracted with
>a gun-
>type deal, and must be extracted under water. It can then be taken
>out and
>placed around the item to be cast; a while later (can't remember how
>long) it
>becomes cured. A nice, flexible mold results.
>sorry I don't know the product name!
I've heard of this material as well, though I should warn you that some
of these products are skin irritants and/or mildly toxic. They really
weren't meant to be used on humans. Also, silicon gel (not the stuff you
mentioned) is very persistant, messy stuff, that isn't water, alcohol,
etc soluable; it can only be gotten off with physical force. Thus ,
getting it in your eye is a permanant affair.

I don't mean to be down on your ideas, but it is key to research the
materials you use before you commit to them. All materials we'd be likely
to use actually have "Material Safety Data Sheets", OSHA requires them,
that detail safe handling and disposal procedures. When in doubt, call
the manufacturer and have them fax or send you a copy. (Please note that
_some_ of the reccomendations are rediculously conservative.)

>Lydia West
>Toledo OH

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]