Re: Art Experience and New Topic:

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:04:21 -0500

Ann Weaver wrote:

> teacher always hung everyone's work, but that she put it up with the "good"
> stuff at the top. Her work was always hung at the bottom. Wow! Heavy stuff for
> her to carry around for 20 years, thinking she was lacking artistically.
>
> I talked with a school psychologist at a teacher seminar last week who
> became teary eyed telling me about her fourth grade teacher who told her
> she was not artistic, could not draw and gave here D's in Art on her report
> card. She has never gotten over it. I hope that I have not unconsciously
> done this to ANY CHILD. How horrible. Ann W. in NC

Which reminds me of a similar experience:

When I was in 3rd grade we moved to a different state. Our Art teacher
was Male.It seemed no matter how hard the girls tried we never got the
same attention as the boys. He also graded us lower. On the topic of
grades I don't see how elementary schools could grade kids,A,B,C etc.
I don't know about the rest of the girls but art was the won thing I
truely loved and was interested in. I always did well in it. I had a few
other male Art teachers I don't know maybe it was the 60's that did it.
Although the 60' seemed quite radical it was still extremely
conservative.
It made me feel that know matter how hard I tried it would never be
good enough so instead of giving up I accepted my fate and internalized
it. I stopped caring what he thought and it freed me to be happy with
what I did do. Years later I'm glad I did. It would have really been sad
if those few teachers could have changed my interest in Art but instead
it made me stronger. Just stubborn I guess.

New Topic:

How many people out there are Male teachers?

It seems male Art teachers are primarily in Colleges. Are the majority
of grade school,middle school,high school teachers- woman?If so do they
work and relate better with children ,is it a choice or can they not
advance? Just curious. I am speaking of Art Teachers primarily.

In conclusion I don't have any ill feelings towards men.(I'm even
married to one). Just curious.

Adios,
Sandra