Re: units

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:48:55 -0600

Amiee,
I think your are right on target. When I was subbing, I had a student
ask me why all the information about African-American and
Hispanic-American politicians, statespeople, activists etc were in the
margins of the social studies books. She felt that this made them look
less important. That was a hard one to answer.
You are not going to be able to cover the entire history of art for
every culture in the world. You might pick your time frames do an
overview of several cultures then focus on one or two cultures or
artists for a unit. The next unit do another overview and focus on a
different set of cultures and artists. Of course Multicultural does not
mean eleminating Western ideas from the curriculum. A unit that might be
every interesting would be the view of a major historical event that
effected different cultures. Using art from each to understand their
viewpoints. Depending on the grade level and what type of school system
you teach in (do you see the students every day or once a week or once a
week every other year (we have two elementary art teachers for 21
elementary schools each school gets a teacher one day a week every other
year) you might be able to have the students involved in cooperative
learning were several groups research artists from different cultures
then teach each other.
The best way to ensure multicultural material is to seek out something
new to you. At CAM we considar the Picture Book Library to be our
perminate collection of art, and we are proud that it is a multicultural
collection (content, authors, and illustrators represent many different
cultures) There are two reasons. One is that we buy books that
complement our exhibits broadly (Heroes, Burt Long Print Making, Book
Illustrations by Lee Atkins, Animals Sculpures by Leroy Archuleta
(current) and next fall a David Diaz Illustration exhibit)and one
exhibit a year focuses on a culture rather than an individual artist or
medium (Mexico, Russian, Native Americans of West Texas, Germany, Czech
Republic (this summer), and next year Hmong). We also search out books
that are just good stories and wonderful illustrations. Except to
complement a cultural exhibit we never seek out a book about a specific
culture, and in my oppinion our best results come when we are just
browsing for a good story.
Hope this helps.
Kimberly

BTW does anyone know how to pronounce Hmong sources differ on whether
the "H" is silent or not.