NEA, PBS Funding Petition

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ann Weaver (t35627.us)
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 12:07:45 +0100

>Subject: Petition for National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), National
Public Radio (NPR) & PBS

>Please keep this petition rolling. Do not reply to me. Please sign and
forward to others to sign. If you prefer not to sign please send to the
e-mail address indicated or return to me. Thanks.

>This petition is being passed around the internet. Please add your name

to it so that funding can be maintained for the NEA, NPR & PBS.

>Here it goes:
>
>This is being forwarded to several people at once to add their names to

the petition. It won't matter if many people receive the same list as
the names are being managed.

This is for anyone who thinks NPR/PBS is a worthwhile expenditure of
$1.12/year of their taxes, a petition follows.

>If you sign, please forward on to others (not back to me). If not,
please don't kill it -- send it to the email address listed here:
wein2688

PBS, NPR (National Public Radio), and the National Endowment for the
arts, are facing major cutbacks in funding. In spite of the efforts of
each station to reduce spending costs and streamline their services,
some
government officials believe that the funding currently going to these
programs is too large a portion of funding for something which is seen
as
not worthwhile.

Currently, taxes from the general public for PBS equal $1.12 per person

per year, and the National Endowment for the Arts equals $.64 a year.

>In January 1995, CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll indicated that 76% of
Americans wish to keep funding for PBS, third only to national defense
and law enforcement as the most valuable programs for federal funding.

Each year, the Senate and House Appropriations committees each have 13
subcommittees with jurisdiction over many programs and agencies. Each
subcommittee passes
its own appropriation bill. The goal each year is to have each bill
signed by the beginning of the fiscal year, which is October 1. The only

way that our representatives can be aware of the base of support for PBS

and funding
for these types of programs is by making our voices heard.
Please add your name to this list and forward it to friends if you
believe in what we stand for. This list will be forwarded to the
President of the United States, the Vice President of the United States,

and Representative Newt Gingrich, who is the instigator of the action to

cut funding to these worthwhile programs.

>*If you happen to be the 150th, 200th, 250th, etc. signer of this
petition, please forward a copy to:

>wein2688.

If that address is inoperative, please send it to:

kubi7975.

This way we can keep track of the lists and organize them. Forward this

to everyone you know, and help us to keep these programs alive. Thank
you.

>PS (added by Doug Witney at DCWitney):
>
>A statistic you should know about if trying to decide whether to sign
this:

>The top 20 countries in terms of average education level of the
populace
are the exact same countries, rank for rank, in order of national
subsidy
of the arts, culture, and public broadcasting. This parallel has existed

for generations. The sad thing is, the US has never been on the list.

What it means is that education and arts, culture, and welfare are all
parts of a whole, something that older nations realize and appreciate.

>NOTE: It is preferable that you SELECT the entirety of this letter
and
then COPY it into a new outgoing message rather than simply forwarding
it.

>416) Arlene Hamilton, Everett, WA
>
>417) Irina Rudakova, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
>
>418) Persephone Miel, Internews, Moscow, Russia
>
>419) Michael J. Mead, New York, NY
>
>420) Spiro C. Lampros, New York University, New York, NY
>
>421) Kelly Sheehan, Brooklyn, NY
>
>422) Henry Kimsey-House, Sebastopol, CA
>
>423) Cynthia Loy Darst, Los Angeles, CA
>
>424) David Darst, Los Angeles, CA
>
>425) Arline Berman, Atlanta, GA
>
>426) Laura Davis, Atlanta, GA
>
>427) Carole Billingham, Denver, CO
>
>428) Sonja M. Hansen, Seattle, WA
>
>429) Rebecca Crichton, Seattle, WA
>
>430) Cedron Sterling, Seattle, WA
>
>431) N'Shama Radha Sterling, Seattle, WA
>
>432) Jim Ekberg, Seattle, WA
>
>433) Carol Ruth Summers, Seattle, WA
>
>434) Ken Jenkins, Novato, CA
>
>435) Todd Stock, Los Gatos, CA
>
>436) Donald Rose, Los Angeles CA
>
>437) Tony Puryear, Venice, CA
>
>438) Eric Finke, Venice, CA
>
>439) Janet Forman, New York, NY
>
>440) Lynda Hansen, NY, NY
>
>441) Richard Weise, Nashville, TN
>
>442) David Madson, Albany, CA
>
>443) Rick Wise, Albany, CA
>
>444) Bill Rogers, Mendocino, CA
>
>445) Rita Hovakimian, San Francisco, Ca
>
>446) Tracy E. Longacre, San Francisco, CA
>
>447) Anita G. Barfield, San Francisco, CA
>
>448) Penelope M. Warren, San Francisco, CA
>
>449) Edward G. Guggenheim, San Francisco, CA
>
>450 Thao N. Lam, Riverside, CA
>
>451) Antonio Rauti, Riverside, CA
>
>452) Carlotta Domeniconi, Riverside, CA
>
>453) Stephanie Fonder, Riverside, CA
>
>454) Sohail Nadimi, Riverside, CA
>
>455) Shirin Etessam, San Francisco, CA
>
>456) Jahanshah Javid, Albany, CA
>
>457) Haleh Nazeri, NY, NY
>
>458) Larry Weissman, NY, NY
>
>459) Jackie Medel, Los Angeles, CA
>
>458) Lynn Cantor, Los Angeles, CA
>
>459) Alec Bartsch, Los Angeles, CA
>
>460) Kim Wohlenhaus, Louisville, KY
>
>461) Tanya Savory, Louisville, KY
>
>462) Suzanne McDermott, Charleston, SC
>
>463) Jack Williams, Columbia SC
>
>464) Caroline Aiken, Atlanta, Ga.
>
>465) Jef Jaisun, Seattle, WA
>
>466: Roberta Penn, Seattle, WA
>
>467: karen garrett de Luna, Seattle, WA
>
>468: Sara Jinks, Seattle, WA
>
>469: Heather Kravas, Seattle, WA
>
>470: Jason Starkie, Seattle, WA
>
>471: Clarence L. Brooks, Jr, Seattle, WA
>
>472: Dan Froot, Los Angeles, CA
>
>473: Julia Carnahan, Whittier, CA
>
>474: Douglas C. Witney, New York, NY
>
>475: Deborah E. Vandergrift, Bloomfield, CT
>
>476: Richard Feldman, Atlanta, GA
>
>477: Maurice R. Feldman, Baltimore, MD
>
>478: Willis Traphagan, Harvard, MA
>
>479: Amanda M. Shelly, Epping NH
>
>480: Christopher George, Northwood, NH
>
>481: Robert T. George, Kennett Square, PA

> [...]
493: julie lammel, State College, PA
494: Linda Caldwell, Centre Hall, PA
495: Nancy Saulsbury, Chicago, IL
496: Deborah Merkle, Salisbury, MD
>497: Sally Long, Pocomoke, MD
>498: Dave Akard, Austin, TX
>499: Bernard Fleming, Austin, TX
>500: Saul Murcia, Austin, TX
>501: Virgo Handojo, Pasadena, CA
>502: April Kentjana, Raleigh, NC
>503: Jahja Lim, Raleigh, NC
>504: W. N. McElrath, Raleigh NC
>505: Betty McElrath, Raleigh NC
506: Patricia P. Webb, Whiteville, NC
507: H. Lee Webb, Jr., Whiteville, NC
508: Mary Alice Seals, Boiling Springs, NC
509: Deborah Loftis Schoenfeld, Birmingham, AL
510: Tamsie Thornton West, Water Valley, MS
511: Ann Weaver, Kenly, NC
Remember: If you happen to be the 150th, 200th, 250th, etc. signer of
this petition, please forward a copy to:

wein2688.

If that address is inoperative, please send it to:

kubi7975.

This way we can keep track of the lists and organize them.
Thanks...keep it rolling.