Re: Penn and Teller and Hockney video

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 20:52:18 -0600

Lynda Brothers Matthew wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> A few years ago PBS had an art series for children, in which Penn and
> Teller demonstrated how artists see perspective and dimension, with David
> Hockney, and in his studio. Did anyone see it? And if so, do you know where
> I could get a copy?
>
> Has anyone used Hockney for a 5th grade level?
>
> Lynda in Calif.

This series is called Behind the Scenes and in my opinion is a HOOT! I
have used it with both kids and adults and all appreciate and learn.
There are five or six videos on visual artists and five or six on
performing artists, each focussing on an element or principle of
design: Balance with Nancy Graves, Line with Wayne Thiebaud, Color with
Robert Gil de Montes, Framing with Carrie Mae Weems, etc. The company
is GNP/University of Nebraska, PO Box 80669, Lincoln, Nebraska, 68501,
1-800-228-4630.
If you're going to Chicago, they'll probably have a booth in the
exhibition hall. I am getting this information from a guide I bought
several years ago (at an NAEA convention) called "The Thinking Teacher's
Guide to the Visual Arts". I borrow the tapes from the Art Resource
Center of the Wichita Art Museum, but I think they can be purchased for
around $40 each.
Enjoy!--Marcia Scurfield