Re: Al Gore and ArtsEdNet

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 19:01:47 -0600

vice.president wrote:

> I am visiting the Getty Center and have just learned about
> the ArtsEdNet online community of arts educators. I applaud
> your use of ArtsEdNet to connect with each other and bring
> engaging and challenging arts education to students around
> the country. As an advocate for the effective use of the
> Internet in the classroom, I am delighted to see how
> ArtsEdNet has been embraced by so many dedicated teachers.
>
> Please let me know about your successes by e-mailing me at
> <vice.president>.
>
> Keep up the good work.
>
> Al Gore
> Vice President
> United States of America

How exciting that you will visit the Getty Center in person! Most of
us will have to wait until the National Art Education Association
convention in Los Angeles in Spring 2000 for our chance. Designed by
Cornell University architecture graduate, Richard Meier, it looks like
an exquisite complex. I'm sure the photographs I've seen don't even
begin to do it justice.
I have been involved in art education in one way or another for more
than twenty-five years. The support which the Getty Center has given us
over the past 10-15 years has been remarkable. The materials I have
received from them have consistantly been first-rate and are in
themselves motivating for both student and teacher.
I have personally experienced the love of learning that elementary
children develop through the arts. Their hugs and smiles keep me coming
back to teaching even when I get sidetracked into other fields of art
education. I really can't imagine a more rewarding career.
Sincerely, Marcia Scurfield, Derby, KS