Re: Summer Art Programs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:23:11 -0500

I have lots of ideas. One I love is making sand casts.You may already do
it.You need a basin of sand or something to put the sand in.One for each
child.I've also done this ina sand box.
Then each child makes a face in the sand.
1st thedig out an oval shape. However deep is how deep the sandcast will
be.
Then have them scoop out eyes nose etc. You can use empty film
cannisters they work pretty good so do twigs.
If they want the eyes to sink in they have to add on.

Then we pour in the plaster as it sets put a piece of wire into the back
so it will harden in the plaster and you can hang.

When dry pull out of the sand carefully and shake loose all excess sand.

Option: you can add lightwatered down paint to sand and have it cored
before or after your done.

I also go over a mask unit with them first.
ie One week maybe a mask unit.
sandcast
Seedbean,African
one made out of paper
one of their own
Mayan style

I'm sur you've heard about the papermaking that is always fun to do.

I also like to do a sculpture with the kids. You get all kind of
material that the kids can push into a styrofoam block.
Just have all the stuff displayed where they can go and get it.They can
use a tin tray to limit how much they bring back to the table with them.

Sandra