Re: Dale Eldred

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 09:34:36 -0500

What do you want to know?

He died in an Artistic way. Tragic.
A few years ago KC flooded in an area called Southwest Blvd
It is the Mexican area of town. Which is just a few streets.
Dale had bought a Building down there and he had his studio there.
He and some of his students were moving some sculptures and in the
center of the floor he had an opening where you could lift pieces from
floor to floor. Well he backed right into it. I think he fell 2
floors.On his head but he didn't die he held on a few days and later
died.
I wasn't in sculpture but many of my friends were. He was a rather
large guy,big head, big hands. The sculpture dept tended to have big
parties back then. They would roast whole pigs on Saturday nights
with lots of beer. Actually an acquaintence/friend(because he's quite
shy) is one of the people at the Natural history Museums in Chicago
who sets up exhibits. He was a pretty close friend of Dales and went to
school there and also exhibited there as well. Mike Paha. He's pretty
shy so I don't know if he'd talk. Go to KC and you'll find a lot of
people there to talk to.Ask anyone over 30 that is somewhat Artistic
looking. It is a very small town.If you'd like call the Art Institute
KCAI and they'll be sure to direct you to info. We had a fare size
library and slide collection..

Sandra
PS I taught a student named Alpha Tessama his parents were from
Ethiopia.