Re: Change of topic-what kinda artist are you?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rosa Juliusdottir (rojul)
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 23:16:54 -0500

I like this questions;
>In a message dated 98-03-20 14:01:41 EST, astroboy writes:
><< NEW TOPIC:
> Please respond to these Questions:
> What kind of Artist are you? ie Painter/ceramics etc<<
and would like to hear/see more about what people are doing besides teaching.

I myself teach both children and adult art students, in the Akureyri School
of Visual Art, in Akureyri northern Iceland. I am a painter by education
but have turned to textile art in my creations. I am also a member of a
small cooperative Art Gallery (twelve artists) right near the Art School.
My most productive art creation time is from march and through the
summer´til about september. Since my works have much to do with ligtht in
the water and sky and we have a very dark period in the middle of winter
this is my time, plus the summer when I am off from teaching(this is June
through August). My works are mostly large painted quilts, acrylics on
silk, linen, organdy and cotton duck. Lately I also use gold foil a lot the
content being are we selling our land and its image for what gives most
money, be it even polluting industry. Anyway it is hard to explain oneself
like this but I decided to try. I find though that teaching art is a very
important factor in my life, it gives so very much back that I could not be
without it. By the way, I may only make and exhibit four to six works pr.
year and I usually sell three or four at least. I guess this is all I have
to say about myself except maybe for the fact that I am 52 years old and
have been making art since 1974 being the year I graduated from the
Accademia di Belle Arti di Bologna and I have been teaching art since 1980
and I also have raised two great kids that are 22 and 23 yrs. old now, one
studying music performance and the other education. Guess this is more than
enough from me. Best regards from the far north, Rosa
Rosa Kristin Juliusdottir
artist / art teacher
Akureyri School of Visual Arts
600 Akureyri