Re: need thoughts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kenney5
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:58:16 +0000

Ruth Wilson wrote:

> Just wondering how you feel about displaying art on the walls of an
> elementary school. Should only the best be displayed or should every
> child's piece every lesson be displayed? How do you send art home? My
> kids want to take their work home right away but most stuff it in their
> backpack and it comes out crumpled and torn. Thanks for your opinions.
> Ruth
I have an opinion;
For 20 years of teaching art K-8 in the private school setting.
The walls for exhibiting art that is 2 dimensional was done and
appreciated however nobody realizes the amount of effort that putting up
or taking down is needed,,so....1.GET HELP
Parents purchased a classic frame plexiglass box style,(I prepurchased)
they were used to exhibit.
They could take home the framed piece in the frame, many parents chose
this option. $10.
Students always knew the hands on activity in art for the first class of
the year...making the portfolio for 2D artworks.
2. I kept a 4-6 mo. group of artworks, then sent them home with the
student artist.Protected.
3.Yes, I did catch some flack for this; however I did gather a following
when I stuck to my philosophy. That student artists works(all)needed to
be together(to show a progression)(to better show an area of
interest,etc.)To be held for open house. For exhibit.
Good luck! I relate to your note.
Joan Kenney