[Fwd: Re: artists and [people who don't get it]]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Joseph Augusta (jaugusta)
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:23:09 -0500

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:20:59 -0500
From: Joseph Augusta <jaugusta>
To: kmt127
Subject: Re: artists and [people who don't get it]

kmt127 wrote:

> Deb: Warhol was his work. His vacant stares were like his empty
> signifiers: floating, mass produced, and empty of all but the surface of
> things (or at least that is what we are meant to believe).

Totally missing the depth of this man's work. Simply put, you don't
understand how this artist transformed the state of American art.

> His factory was
> appropriately named since Warhol did not call himself an artist, he called
> himself a machine: mass producing reproductions of reproductions.

Wrong again. You're falling for the PR. This man could draw and paint
with the best of them, and he did! Look at his late work, and try to
figure it out--it was sublime--

On the practical side; he'd be a leader on the Internet if he were still
alive. He conquered the mass media of his day, why not this one?

> Warhol's
> eccentric lifestyle had clear connections to his work: his early
> homoerotic images, his status as superstar, his face showing up at every
> party, his cult of celebrity vs. cult of genius, his incessant need to
> surround himself with excess(including drug use, -his inauthentic
> authenticity.

Your apparent conservatism (+ sexism) is showing. Ask any PR agency
exec. how to promote an artist's work. Mr. Warhol wrote the book.

> What I find very dangerous is the need for art to "stand on its
> own." This was (and still is is many cases) the dominant paradigm in
> Western art and philosophy for over 400 years.

Of course the work has to have meaning and stand on its own. Just as in
any other medium: literature, music, film.

> When Kant .. (Hegel, Dow, Greenberg..)(Lowenfeld

You're leaving your Ph.D. tracks here. The hope is that you'll stand on
your own 2 feet someday, rather than parrot other's original thoughts.

> As you put it " I think his art is very
> important in the context of its time," yes context is everything.

Bull. "The politics of classical art have long since been forgotten."
Who said that? Check your art books: the art is there in all its glory.
Who hassled Phidias, Ezekias? What compromises did they have to make?
What would-be pedants did they have to tolerate?

Best wishes,
Joseph