Re: African Art?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 08:20:58 -0500

This is true,
Last year we started off the year in ArtLit with The
Arican Culture unit.It covered all of Africa plus although primarily
most students are white ther was a couple that moved here from Ethiopia.
I had 2 boxes of Folders,Notebooks,samples,prints.I tried to copy as
much as I could however I don't have access of the material ie slides
and prints. The box was really put together for an African culture week
Unfortunatly we were a private school so we didn't have the funding
I only had 200$ for my year of supplies. However we did do seed bean
masks and we did Adinkra printing it was educational and fun. There was
so much literature that I left a notebook in the office for the teachers
to checkout and use I also ended up making our own box.

I know what it feels like to grow up in a school which never touches on
your culture, I think it's the responsible thing to do.
I am half Mexican.I also look white.Not my sisters.My parents moved 2000
miles away from family so if I wanted to learn anything of Mexico
I had to ask my Mother or look it up. This is probably why I try to
incorporate a multi-cultural Art program.
If anyone would like some African lessons write back. However I'm not
copying my whole book.There were around 100 slides which I don't have
but I do have book references.

Thanks for the insight,
Sandra