Re: Chicago/Wright

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Walter Krueger (wkrueger)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:50:58 -0800

At 1:38 PM 3/20/98, EVasso wrote:
Marcia Scurfield asks:
<<I didn't get in on the Frank
Lloyd Wright trip. Does anyone know of any other tours to see his
architecture?>>

There is a wonderful Wright walking tour of the Oak Park area led by
students of architecture. You get connected at the official museum on
Chicago Avenue in Oak Park. You see not only the Wright homes (there are
many) but also the other styles that were used at that time. Some choice
property!

Also: the tour of the home and studio is worth it! They sell tickets and
lead groups through in small numbers so as everyone will fit in all the
rooms.

The walking tour of the neighborhood leaves at prescribed times. There is
a gift shop in the back where I bought my Wright coffee mug! (Pretty good
for a musician who likes art and architecture!)

You can do both the house and the walking tour in one long Sunday
afternoon. I did.

--Walter Krueger wkrueger (former Chicagoan!)

Nota bene: The "15" minute cab estimates are for a "good" day! Traffic
can *really* add to that time. Be forewarned.

>Marcia,
>The Wright studio is in Oak Park, about a 15 minute cab ride west of the
>Hilton. More than a dozen homes designed by Wright are in a historic district
>around the studio. Maps are available at the studio so you can do-it-yourself!
>The Wright designed Robie House is in Hyde Park, 15 minutes south of the
>Hilton by cab, near the University of Chicago, a wonderful Gothic campus.
>More information is available from the Chicago Architecture Foundation, which
>is a half dozen blocks north of the hotel on Michigan Avenue. I'm sure
>information will be available at the Hilton. Chicago is a wonderful place for
>artists and its a great to know you all are coming. If you have half as good a
>time here as I had at the convention in New Orleans, you'll be doing well.

Walter Krueger, Concordia University, Portland
Mission Central Europe: Choir Tour 1998
web: http://www.teleport.com/~wkrueger

It seems when the pope visited Havana, someone at the
Vatican made a mistake. There weren't enough service books printed.

I guess you could call it the CUBAN MISSAL CRISIS!